KTM already set standards in the travel segment with the new 1190 Adventure in its first model year. Already the 1190 Adventure, together with its "R" sister model, has been turned into what is currently the world's safest motorcycle - yet still with undiluted riding pleasure. It was the first motorcycle, offering Bosch's new MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control). MSC enhances the existing package consisting of lean-sensitive traction control and ABS featuring a combined braking function with a world first: the first ever lean-sensitive cornering ABS. As ever, it sets standards in the travel segment: 150 hp with a weight of only 230 kg fully tanked combine to produce a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in this class and therefore delivering unrivalled ride dynamics. At the same time, the powerful, economical and cultivated engine enables either particularly relaxed and comfortable riding or, if required, super-sporty propulsion - with every conceivable level in between. The chassis combines lightness with outstanding geometry and fantastic suspension, allow undreamed of riding pleasure in all conditions and whatever speed you desire, from very relaxed to very, very fast.
Best Possible Overview: VDO Display
- Cockpit: State-of-the-art instrument cluster from automotive supplier VDO: central permanent LCD for displaying all riding conditions (plus speedo and rev counter with adjustable gearshift light), another LCD on the left for displaying the adjustable features: Favourites page; MSC ride modes; Riding conditions page for additional info, e.g. outside/oil temperature, on-board voltage, various trips, average speed, average and current fuel consumption, range, distance to next service
- Mode switch: Different modes for the various assistance systems can be selected using a mode switch on the left side of the handlebar. It's very simple and intuitive: "up" and "down" through the menu selection, select the desired menu item with the left button, confirm it with the right, job done!
- Chassis: With its ultra-lightweight yet extremely stable tubular space frame, the high strength, die-cast, open-lattice swingarm and high quality suspension components from WP Suspension, the KTM 1190 Adventure meets all requirements for stability and controllability. Spoked wheels - tubeless, 19-inch up front; 17-inch at the rear - fat tires and employment of appropriate suspension travel optimize its talents on the asphalt. Unrivalled braking from world market leader Brembo and assistance systems (MSC with MTC and lean-sensitive C-ABS), developed in close collaboration with Bosch, round off the package and help the 1190 Adventure into a clear lead straight from the start in terms of ride dynamics and safety. Top-quality components from high-class suppliers are assembled to create the 1190 Adventure's chassis. They combine the pure riding pleasure typical for KTM with the best possible feedback and maximum safety.
- Tubeless spoked wheels: Wire-spoked wheels for tubeless tires featuring airtight rim beds patented by KTM. The rims on the 1190 Adventure combine all the benefits of a tubeless tire (easy fitting and dynamic advantages due to no inner tube) with the stability and robustness of a wire-spoked wheel. This set-up makes the Adventure's rims substantially more resilient than all the competition's cast and spoked wheels – an added bonus, especially in hard offroad riding.
- Tires: New standards demand new tools: The 1190 Adventure is the first ever travel enduro to roll on state-of-the-art, extremely grippy and durable tires sized at 120/70 ZR 19 and 170/60 ZR 17.
- Steering damper: With so much propulsive power, the front wheel can become very light, which can quickly lead to unpleasant kick-back on uneven roads or following a slight stimulus at the handlebar. The Adventure prevents this safely with a reliable and sensitive WP steering damper.
- Power-to-weight ratio: The outstanding combination of lightweight engineering in the chassis and likewise very light and extremely powerful engines make the KTM 1190 Adventure top of its class in terms of power-to-weight ratio and ride dynamics. Its weight of only 230 kg, fully tanked with a substantial 23 litres of fuel, makes the 1190 Adventure – in typical KTM manner – one of the lightest motorcycles in its segment. Further reasons for the fantastic ride dynamics are the outstanding geometry, the very well-balanced stiffness distribution and the high quality of suspension components used. These ingredients not only result in nimble handling, but also in a boost to safety, since it is far easier to guide a lightweight motorcycle around a source of danger than a heavy one.
- Frame: Trellis frame made from chrome-molybdenum stainless steel. The frame contributes to an excellent chassis geometry, it's extremely stable and weighs only 9.8 kg. Consistent lightweight construction that contributes to the low overall weight of just 217 kg (ready to ride, without fuel) and 235 kg fully tanked. Features: The highest welding standards; Precisely manufactured tubes (laser-cut for perfect clearances, robot-welded, minimal welding stresses, etc.); High quality surface finish
- Suspension components: Thanks to multiple setting options, the stable upside-down telescopic fork with 48mm internal tube diameter and the shock absorber from WP Suspension allow optimum adjustment of the chassis to suit the individual operational use of the versatile 1190 Adventure.» EDS (electronically adjustable suspension) » Suspension travel: 190/190 mm
- EDS (Electronic Damping System): Fine tuning of the suspension can be achieved with the factory fit EDS (electronically adjustable suspension) package. By using the handlebar mounted controls, the rider can adjust the spring preload of the front and rear suspension to four pre-defined settings (solo, solo with luggage, two-up and two-up with luggage) – providing the perfect geometry in all situations. In addition, the rider can also choose between three comfort settings of the suspension damping (comfort, street and sport) – according to their preferred riding style.
- Swingarm: The die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is not only particularly light and stable, it's also very precisely manufactured, with a design optimized in terms of flexural behavior and stiffness.
- Brakes: Precise application, powerful and free from fading: More than adequate deceleration is ensured on the 1190 Adventure by Brembo brakes with the very finest components, such as 320 mm brake discs, radially mounted, four-piston fixed calipers and a radial hand pump. At the rear, the braking energy flows into a generously dimensioned 268 mm disc. And not to forget: everything supported by Bosch 9ME C-ABS.
Safety Thanks to State-of-the-Art Sensors
- MSC with C-ABS (Combined ABS) and offroad mode: The ultimate in safe deceleration: One component of the comprehensive Bosch MSC assistance package is the world's first lean-sensitive cornering ABS. Based on the high-quality 9ME modulator, it unites the talents of combined braking and lightning-quick, efficient pressure modulation with the high quality Brembo hardware to make the most advanced braking system on the market - no-one brakes more progressively or safely. Benefits and properties of MSC-ABS: Safest and most effective deceleration on the market - even at extreme angles (optional); Extremely short braking distances; When the front brake lever is actuated, the rear brake is always applied purposefully in parallel in order to optimize ride stability when braking; If required, not only can it be switched off, but also placed in offroad mode; Complex computation algorithms contribute to the prevention of endos. Offroad mode: Offroad mode allows the rider to block the rear wheel as and when required - a prerequisite for committed offroad riding and deliberately executed slides. The ABS function remains active on the front wheel, even in offroad mode.
- MTC (Motorcycle traction control): As an integral part of the MSC package, MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) also regulates subject to the angle of lean. It guarantees sporty yet completely controllable propulsion on all surfaces. Its intervention is indicated with a flashing LED in the VDO multi-function display. Depending on the engine mode selected by the rider, MTC permits differing levels of rear-wheel slip. Overall, MTC therefore offers four different characters (plus OFF), selected using the multifunctional switch on the left handlebar grip. Developed in close collaboration with Bosch, it reacts in a matter of milliseconds if the rear wheel begins to rotate too rapidly for the riding conditions. It also makes use of the quick intervention time of the ride-by-wire system to reduce propulsion to a safe level, subject to the angle of lean. Depending on the MTC mode, the EMS (Engine Management System) also makes available a suitable level of power – for example, "only" 100 instead of 150 hp in rain mode. Four different MTC modes are activated by changing the engine modes: Sport: Something for the courageous to try: Allows a respectable and perceptible amount of slippage - drift-feeling all-inclusive! Street: Smooth control for comfortable, undisturbed riding with full engine power. Rain: Early intervention and minimum slippage in the wet, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp. Offroad: Up to 100 per cent slippage - i.e. double wheel speed - for ambitious offroad use. Have a go at controlled offroad drifts, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp. Off: Those who know better than the MTC can enjoy maximum propulsion at all times, completely to their individual tastes, without electronic assistance.
- TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system): As its name implies, the optional TPMS monitors tire pressure (visible in the display) and warns the rider in the event of pressure loss, for example due to tire damage.
- Price / performance: The KTM 1190 Adventure is light, powerful and extremely controllable.. Thanks to low fuel consumption, a 23-litre fuel tank and long service intervals of 15,000 km, it hardly ever needs to take a break.
- Outstanding package price: Work it out for yourself: The KTM 1190 Adventure is not only the lightest, most powerful and versatile travel enduro, but also the one with the best equipment package. As a result, you get - at an already very affordable entry-level price - so much more for your money than from any of its esteemed competitors. Extensive standard equipment: C-ABS; MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control); Multi-function cockpit; Daytime running light; LED indicators; Adjustable ergonomics; Adjustable windshield height; Ultra-stable offroad spoked wheels; Immobilizer; Aluminum handlebar, ball-burnished and tapered; Luggage rack and case brackets; Servo fan; Handguards
- Long service intervals: A unique mix of the highest quality components combined with a fully developed and reliable engine allows extremely long service intervals of 15,000 km.
Torque, Power and Smoothness
- Engine: The advanced V2 engine with 1195 cc displacement supplies everything that a top-class travel enduro could ever need: powerful acceleration for offroad use, a powerful punch for tours fully loaded and 150 hp peak power when the chips are down. Fully developed after five years in a superbike, not only does the extremely light, high-performance, four-valve engine consume considerably less fuel than its predecessor, it also extends the service intervals of the 1190 Adventure to a wallet-friendly 15,000 km. The most advanced technology helped in adapting the superbike twin to use in the Adventure: Twin ignition sinks both consumption and emissions and ensures smooth running and superior power from the very bottom up. Ride-by-wire ensures perfect application of the readily available and plentiful torque. MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) guarantees sporty yet completely controllable propulsion on every surface and in all situations. The new slipper clutch prevents rear wheel chatter and reduces the hand force required for shifting gear.
- Ride-by-wire: The guarantee for smooth throttle response, not just no throttle control cable: The 1190 Adventure's ride-by-wire system ensures perfect application of the readily available and plentiful torque. It also electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into throttle valve positions perfectly suited to the riding conditions. The DBW system is fully compliant with the strict DIN 26262 safety standard from the automobile sector.
- Slipper clutch: Not only does the slipper clutch open when the engine back-torque becomes too high, it also assists when you open up the throttle. The former prevents annoying rear wheel chatter when braking sharply or decelerating; the latter reduces the hand force required for changing gear, hence allowing the clutch to be controlled with the little finger - which saves energy when riding.
- Cylinder heads: The main reasons for the outstanding performance of the V-twin with its 75° cylinder angle are the state-of-the-art four-valve cylinder heads with twin plug ignition, flow-optimized ducts and cam follower drive via DLC-coated cam followers, each with two overhead camshafts.
- Twin ignition: The twin plug ignition system controls the two differently sized spark plugs in each cylinder head independently of each other in such a way that more efficient combustion and a smoother, optimally controlled combustion sequence are achieved at all times. The result: even more and even better controlled power, lower fuel consumption, and less emissions.
- Pistons: The forged piston structure borrowed from Formula 1 results in a high loading capacity, despite an extremely short and lightweight design. In this way, the reciprocating weight can be minimized and the responsiveness and free-revving nature of the engine maximized. The top piston ring grooves have a state-of-the-art, hard-anodized finish. Not only is this particularly hard-wearing, it also minimizes friction and guarantees optimal sealing for the whole engine life.
- Crankshaft: The smooth shape of the crank webs results in low-loss running of the crank drive; the modified weight distribution of the crankshaft and alternator rotor improve the ride quality. Together they optimize the load change behavior of the engine.
- DLC coating: DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) stands for an extremely hard, durable and tribologically (i.e. in terms of sliding behavior) particularly well-suited coating, that KTM uses in many engine parts (cam followers, piston pins, etc.).
Versatile and Ergonomic
- Versatile and ergonomic: The KTM 1190 Adventure sets standards for the whole travel segment: 150 hp with a weight of only 230 kg fully tanked combine to produce a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in this class and therefore delivering unrivalled ride dynamics. At the same time, the powerful, economical and cultivated engine enables either particularly relaxed and comfortable riding or, if required, super-sporty propulsion - with every conceivable level in between. The chassis combines lightness with outstanding geometry and fantastic suspension, which, together with perfectly adapted travel enduro tires, allow undreamed of riding pleasure in all conditions and whatever speed you desire, from very relaxed to very, very fast
- Fields of use: The field of use of the 1190 Adventure extends smoothly from pleasurable touring comfort to uncompromising acceleration. This extremely wide application range is made possible not least by the first ever deployment of a ground-breaking electronics package. What's particularly impressive is that the bike's different characters lead to virtually no perceptible compromises. So those who use the Adventure for relaxed locomotion don't feel any of the sportiness at their disposal (for example, due to sharp responsiveness or a taut chassis set-up). Those who ride more sportily don't have to put up with a rocking horse. The many riding modes naturally support the user's tastes as well. Whether it be alpine pass or coastal road, motorway or bone-shaking track, winding curves or urban jungle, the 1190 Adventure is the ultimate travel enduro for adventures on all the world's roads.
- Ergonomics: Not only are the top-notch ergonomics of the new 1190 Adventure suitable for all riding situations from comfortable outings - alone or two-up - to lively acceleration on asphalt and furious offroad shredding - whatever the surface or location; The ergonomics can also be adjusted in many ways to suit individualists and riders of any stature: ; Two handlebar clamping positions: horizontal +/- 10 mm; Two rider seat heights 860 mm + 15 mm; Two footrest positions: diagonal 10 mm high and back; Plus hand levers with 5 reach settings
- Seat: The height of the rider part of the two-piece seat can be adjusted by 15 mm. Thanks to its state-of-the-art 3D foam padding, it also provides more comfort over longer periods and a better feeling for what's happening at the wheels - an orthopedic benefit from tourers for tourers, from sportsmen for sportsmen. From MY 2015 on, KTM uses new foam that feels softer but offers much more consistency. So, no matter if the ride was short or very long, the rider and passenger reach destination in comfort. Due to new luggage case mounting from the side, the passenger handles are placed lower and provide more generous space and comfort.
- Adjustable windshield: The height of the windshield can be varied individually as desired or to suit the rider's stature in next to no time with the easily operated champing mechanism (+25 mm).
- Design: 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75 deg.
- Displacement: 1195 cm³
- Bore: 105 mm
- Stroke: 69 mm
- Power in KW: 110 kW
- Starter: Electric starter
- Lubrication: Forced oil lubrication with 3 oil pumps
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Primary drive: 40:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 17:42
- Cooling: Liquid cooled
- Clutch: PASC™ slipper clutch, hydraulically actuated
- EMS: Keihin EMS with RBW, twin ignition
- Frame design: Chromium-Molybdenum steel trellis frame, powder coated
- Front suspension: WP-EDS USD Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP-EDS Monoshock
- Suspension travel (front): 190 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 190 mm
- Front brake: 2 x Brembo four-piston radial fixed caliper, brake discs, floating
- Rear brake: Brembo twin-piston fixed caliper, brake disc
- Front brake disc diameter: 320 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 267 mm
- ABS: Bosch 9ME combined ABS (incl. cornering ABS and offroad mode, disengageable)
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16 in.
- Steering head angle: 64 deg.
- Wheelbase: 1560 ± 15 mm
- Ground clearance: 220 mm
- Seat height: 860 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 23 L